.// home / about the isaacs / about the bats / fan fic / fan art / links //.

Round Robin P 2

(by vicuña)

Shrugging into his trench, Grey entertained a brief notion of inviting Skye. The Russian blond had already disappeared, predictably enough, the whispers of his footsteps retreating back down the hallway. But what if Grey were to knock on his door, suggesting they scope out their prospects together? Overtures made-- all under the pretense of friendly competition, of course-- might lead to a few drinks, a dulling of that edge, as it were. And maybe after such a prelude it could get really /interesting/ during the second act... Grey smiled ruefully at himself. A few drinks? Skye? Who did he think he was kidding?

Not because it wasn't bloody likely. Well, not really. But that was the /extra/ bet. Icing on the cake. No good skipping to dessert first, like Mum always said. Always save the best for last.

In his mind flashed a series of images, quick and lurid like the media coverage of those concert interviews-- Twisteaux, pouting at the camera. Each of his four Bats, in varying poses from the suggestive to the obscene. Skye, from behind, startled into a smile. Sebastien and Shima's speechless, disbelieving faces.

He indulged in a bid of wicked laughter. This was really far too much fun.

With a jaunty mock-salute in the direction of Skye's room, Grey slipped out the door.

He'd have eaten his koto, hammer and all, before admitting to Shima and Sebastien that he /was/ a bit out of practice. Truth was, he really hadn't the foggiest notion how he was going to bed four Bats, much less Skye... but damn it all, he was going to enjoy every minute of it. (For that matter, the photograph also posed a bit of a problem. How on earth would he manage that? But no, that was a bridge he'd cross when he came to it.) He shrugged happily, rubbing his palms together.

If I were a Culture Bat, he thought, where would I be? He laughed into the collar of his coat. Hanging upside down by my jelly shoes in some cave somewhere, taking a bit of a kip?

Never thought he'd find himself wishing he'd been paying more attention to all those awful Culture Bats specials on the telly. Interminable things-- whose favorite color was fuschia, whose preferred cologne was cKbe, which of them slept in the buff-- but never with the really /juicy/ information... Like, for example, what little bars did they frequent in the evenings, after practice, when they wanted a drink, or a smoke, or a quick shag?

Realizing that he had, in fact, no idea, he decided to start at this sweet little place he himself had always been fond of. It was more bar than restaurant, but with some cozy booths for more... intimate dinners.

He was a regular enough that the chap behind the counter served him up a whiskey and lime without having to be asked. Grey smiled pleasantly, taking a seat on a barstool and assessing the room from underneath carefully lowered eyelashes.

After about half an hour (and about three more whiskeys), he had to sigh, and admit that perhaps this particular joint might have been a waste of time. Ah, well, strike one, as they say; the night was still young.

But wait.

Over in the corner, there, behind the kid with the bright blue hair. Grey squinted through his glass, pretending to inspect the color of his whiskey, so it wouldn't be obvious that he was staring. What a tall, striking fellow. Definitely not Japanese. Pale hair that was almost white, nice features. Sitting by himself, with a huge glass of beer at his elbow-- it was no wonder Grey hadn't seen him, so quiet and in the shadow like that.

And he certainly /looked/ like a Bat. The tall one, what's-his-face, the one who doubled as their production manager? Grey's lips curled up in a sneer. Whoever he was, he surely was not /behaving/ like a Bat, though. Demurely drinking beer, looking studiously at some paperwork or other? Honestly. Grey had heard stories of the publicity stunts and attention-seeking things those crazy blokes had done. And this one was just not quite a Bat out of hell.

Still. It had to be him; Grey could just imagine him standing at Twisteaux's elbow. The bassist, yeah, that was him all right.

He lowered his glass, stopped trying to be subtle about his appreciation. If that was really him, this would be a most convenient place to start. Unconsciously, he licked his lips, thinking with surety that Shima and Sebastien and Skye could not, at that very moment, be any closer to attaining the prize than he was.

Savoring his chance, he fully intended to ask one of those lovely waitresses if they wouldn't pour a drink for that lonely fellow over there, and put it on his tab. But he never quite managed to catch their eyes, as he was staring quite openly at the handsome Bat.

Wondering, with no small interest, if he was the one that liked to sleep undressed.

Mmmm.

Suddenly there was a touch on his shoulder. "...Grey?"

His reverie thus interrupted, he managed not to jump out of his skin, a fact of which he was very proud. But he couldn't quite keep his voice normal, when he turned around casually to see a /very/ familiar face.

"Augustine!" He swallowed. "Fancy running into you here!"

The lead singer of the Wicked Isaacs raised a pale eyebrow, speaking volumes without saying a word.

Grey coughed. "That is to say, thought you were out of town, old thing. What a pleasant surprise."

Augustine's eyes narrowed, as if in silent approval. He pulled up a stool and sat down, almost uncomfortably close in the growing crowd. "Guten aben to you, too," he said easily, with an intrigued glint in his eyes. He angled his head imperceptibly nearer to Grey's, that he might lower his voice and still be heard. "And what brings you out on a weeknight like this?"

Sheer force of will kept Grey's gaze from flicking guiltily to the Culture Bat in the opposite corner of the bar. "Boredom," he said smoothly. "Sebastien and Shima refused to turn off the telly; I needed a change of scenery." Which, as he was pleased to note, was not entirely untrue. "...You?" he added, a bit reluctantly.

Augustine said nothing, running a hand through his short silver hair and looking pointedly across the bar.

Grey shrugged. Fair enough. They were all used to Augustine not answering their questions. "Shall I... buy you a drink?" he hazarded, out of a masochistic sense of politeness.

The pause lasted so long that Grey was starting to twitch, his mind running in circles. The damnable presence of the man was nearly unnerving. What was Augustine up too? Could Sebastien have tipped him off to their bet? But why, when they all knew he'd win the pot if he got his slippery fingers on it?

But he couldn't deny that Augustine certainly looked like he was scoping out the Bat, too.

Most fascinating, Grey thought, if anxiously.

At last the German smiled fractionally, the set of his shoulders relaxing. "I really /am/ out of town, I'm afraid, mein freund." He slid his stool back slowly, his eyes lingering with little pretense on Grey's face. "Was only stopping by the studio long enough to pick up a few things."

"Sorry to hear it," Grey said, exhaling with immense relief. Jolly good thing he'd been raised to lie with a straight face.

As Augustine was leaving, though, he said quietly, over his shoulder, "Watch yourself."

But Grey had no time to dwell on this puzzling pronouncement, because at that moment the bell at the door jingled-- and who should waltz in but Stolichnya Shima. Grey didn't watch long enough to see if Sebastien came in behind him, setting his back to the door and staring at the whiskey and lime in his hands like it held all the secrets of the universe. He knew he didn't really have a chance of escaping notice, but at least this time nobody was going to sneak up on him and ruin his casual facade.

Infuriatingly enough, though, from this vantage point he could see that the Bat was actually looking intently towards the entrance.

Grey swore, laughing, under his breath. /He'd/ been trying to get the man's attention all evening. Bad bloody luck. But who was he looking at now?

.//back