.// home / about the isaacs / about the bats / fan fic / fan art / links //.

Round Robin P 1

(by mars)

It started harmlessly enough.

Stolichnya Shima and Sebastien Smirnoff were the culprits, of course. Facing each other over cards one day, they were apparently paying attention to everything but what they held in their hands. Petit, precocious Shima's eyes were narrowed in concentration, but they were studying the flat-screen TV set into the far wall; the usually loud Sebastien watched him silently with a patient smile. He shuffled through his cards with long, clever fingers. "They make you crazy like they make me crazy, petit?"

On the television, Twisteaux Turbeaux and his four Culture Bats--the new J-Rock sensation sweeping through Japan--smiled indulgently at the audience and waved briefly before escaping off-camera towards the concert hall. Shima scowled, his small, full mouth pinching even smaller, and dragged his eyes off of the screen to look at Sebastien.

"They're such posers!" he spat.

"We could teach them a thing or two, no?" Sebastien's careful smile turned lecherous. Shima's scowl melted in turn, the corners of his mouth curling.

"What are you on about?" Grey Neville-Smyth asked as he strolled into the common room, toweling off his freshly bleached masses of hair. "Plotting against the rest of us again, are you two?"

"Always, Gurei-san." Shima smiled up at Grey almost innocently. Grey wasn't fooled, giving them a wide berth as he crossed the room to fetch the day's newspaper.

"On the telly again?" Grey dropped into a chair, throwing the towel over the arm of another. "You'd think the media'd be bored of showing their ugly mugs over and over. They've got a five second attention span for everything else. Change the channel, would you?"

Sebastien reached for the remote, and then paused. "A moment-- we were just discussing..." His smirk turned sly. "A bet, m'sieur. Would you be interested in playing?"

Grey's expression was skeptical. "Let's hear it before I sign my name in blood." He didn't miss the quick glances exchanged between Shima and Sebastien, or the small almost-laugh that Shima smothered as quickly as it surfaced. "Especially if it's involving *them*." He tipped his head towards the screen, where Twisteaux was conducting himself buffoonishly before an interviewer.

"Just a little bet. Each of us pays two thousand yen, and whomever sleeps with one of those Bats first will take the entire pot."

Grey snorted, dismissive. "As if I'd want to dip into *that*." He gestured at the bouncing image of the Culture Bat's keyboardist.

"That's too easy, Sebashi-kun," Shima said. "One is too easy. How about... whoever sleeps with the most of them by the end of the week wins, and everyone else pays up. Five thousand yen."

Grey was still not buying in. "Augustine'll win, you all know that."

"He is not here to take this bet," Sebastien insisted. "The three of us, we'll stand an equal chance. Or do you think you are not so talented as we?"

"Hardly, I'm just a realist. And you two will just team up on me," Grey muttered.

"If we team up, then we only get half scores."

"Gurei-san is just afraid. He's too old and soft to keep up with us." Shima's tactic was hardly subtle, but Grey found himself leaping to his feet all the same.

"Hang on there! I'm only a year older than him--" He pointed at Sebastien. "I just happen to know sleeping with barely-legal boys doesn't keep one young!"

"You just know they'd never give you a second look, old man." Sebastien draped an arm over Shima as if to prove a point.

"That's not true-- I could have whoever I wanted--!"

"Not even that petit 'club bunny' Bat would sleep with you--"

"Oh *alright!*" Grey shouted, much louder than he intended, "I'll take your bloody stupid bet." He reached into his wallet, pulled out five thousand yen and slapped it on the table. Sebastien reached for it, grinning, but Grey grabbed his wrist firmly. "Oh, no. Neither of you are hanging on to my money. Where's Skye? At least he's fairly honest."

"Eh," Sebastien wrinkled his nose. "Don't bring him into this, he'll just sneer down at us and call us peasants. I'll just--" He reached after the five thousand yen again.

"SKYE!"

Sebastien rolled his eyes and drew his hand back. "You know he will just say he does not get involved in such things. We should make a bet to see who sleeps with him first as well. Only, it would never be won."

"Honestly, Sebastien, he's not as much of a prude as you seem to think--"

"If I seem a prude in your eyes," came a soft, heavily-accented reply, "it is only because you /krestyane/ are not worthy of knowing such intimate details of my life."

"Well, there you are," Grey said cheerfully, ignoring the insult. Sneering superiority seemed to be ingrained in the Isaac's most reclusive member. "We're in need of someone to hold on to some money, and I don't trust either of these two with it."

"What have I ever done!" Shima protested, but Grey held out his hand.

"I'll take five thousand yen from each of you; and if he's willing, Mr. Shezar can hold on to it until the end of the week."

Shima dug in his pockets. "How about if someone wins Sebashi-kun's extra challenge, we pay him an extra two?"

"I'm on," Sebastien said, handing Grey his money. Grey counted through the notes, and handed them to Skye, who narrowed his eyes at the lot of them.

"What are you betting?"

"Oh, just a little wager to see which of us will be most successful getting a little bit of play from our favorite rivals, nothing big. Whoever sleeps with the most members of the Bats wins," Grey said breezily. He couldn't help eyeballing Skye's cascades of straight, flaxen hair, and wonder if he could win the extra two thousand yen.

"Why don't you join us?" Sebastien's grin was positively wicked. "Five thousand, and we'll trust you to hold it, since you can't do the extra bet."

"Extra?" Skye asked, and everyone found something else to stare at.

"Ignore him," Grey said, waving one hand, "He's just baiting you. Want in?"

Of course Skye was going to say no. They waited for him to tell them that they were low, stupid, base foreign pigs and that Augustine would surely win. Skye's mouth seemed to be getting tighter and tighter; it was obviously going to be a big scolding that he'd lay on them.

"Yes. I think that it would be easy for me to win such a bet."

Sebastien snorted loudly. But Grey laughed out loud; somehow, he wouldn't be surprised if Skye *did* win. Except for the extra bit, of course. "Pay up then," Sebastien said, "Bet starts from this moment on. And you have to be able to prove it -- bring ... a thing that you could not get unless you slept with the person you claim to."

"Photographs?" Grey suggested, "Otherwise who knows who's dirty underwear we're getting?"

"Photos, then. You have to have a picture, or better."

Shima stood, stretching languidly like a little cat. "Alright then. Let's go down to the strip, Sebashi-kun?"

"Good thinking." Sebastien grabbed his jacket, and the two of them strutted out of the room as if they'd already won.

"Where're you going to start?" Grey said to Skye, but the other man only looked at him, and then turned, his pale straight hair a magnificent banner behind him. Grey sighed, stood up, and stretched. This was going to be a long week, but hopefully fun-- and of course he was going to win. He rubbed his hands together, and got up to get his coat.

 

.//back